Designing a Design System
iOS Tech Lead
Synchronizing design teams with engineering teams is a huge challenge. As teams scale, new growing pains start around how to properly align colors, fonts, weights and other design details between teams, in a uniform way.
This talk will feature our very own journey on how we solved this problem at Gett using existing tooling we had (Zeplin, CI Systems) as well as a custom automation solution we named Prism, allowing to generate design-specific code for any platform, based on the design team's style guide and design system.
In this talk you'll learn:
* What are the pains of Design & Dev teams?
* What are some existing solutions? How do they fall short?
* What do you have to gain by solving this problem for your team? Does it have a high enough ROI?
* Take routine tasks - Automate them.
* Prism - a Swift-based CLI to generate complete color and text styles code representations from existing Design Systems.
* Explain the full flow of how this system works - from the design team building a new feature, to how they push this new code to the dev team.
* The future evolution of this Design System solution.
* How can you apply this technique for your own company?
Shai Mishali is the iOS Tech Lead for Gett, the global on-demand mobility company; as well as an international speaker, and a highly active open-source contributor and maintainer on several high-profile projects - namely, the RxSwift Community and RxSwift projects, but also releases many open-source endeavors around Combine such as CombineCocoa, RxCombine and more.
As an avid enthusiast of hackathons, Shai took 1st place at BattleHack Tel-Aviv 2014, BattleHack World Finals San Jose 2014, and Ford's Developer Challenge Tel-Aviv 2015. You can find him on GitHub and Twitter @freak4pc.